Thursday, April 8, 2010

Cupcake Battle: Sprinkles vs Kara's

The perfect opportunity arose to have a Cupcake Showdown between Sprinkles cupcakes and Kara's Cupcakes! They were the double chocolate with sprinkle cupcakes from each place, so we had a side by side taste test after dinner. The picture may not do it justice, but the Kara's cupcake on the left was quite a bt smaller than the Sprinkles one- not sure what the price difference was.

My opinion to be honest is that they were pretty similar as far as cake portion, but as an overall experience, I preferred Sprinkles. The cake portion as I said was fairly similar, but I think I preferred the Kara's one a TINY bit more- there was a lasting flavor that I enjoyed after I had swallowed my bite. The frosting however, I liked the Sprinkles one better. It was a little denser and creamier compared to the light fluffy one on Kara's. I think Kara's cupcake has a very large layer of frosting because it's so light (as you can see from the cut cupcake picture). I'm not a huge frosting person to begin with, so I liked that the Sprinkles cupcake had a much higher cake to frosting ratio in one bite. Both cupcakes were moist, quite tasty, and not too sweet- bottom line I'd eat both :)

I made Jeremy do the taste test too and he actually was the exact opposite of me. He liked the Sprinkles cake and Kara's frosting- he didn't really hesitate on it either! Again, to each their own! Of course, he doesn't discriminate when it comes to eating chocolate or chocolate cake :)

Also, our work bake off round 2 is coming up next week... I haven't decided what to make for it or if I'll submit something, so I'll have to think about it. The categories are: pies, cakes, cookies, and bars. If anybody has ideas or suggestions, feel free to let me know!

1 comment:

Jirat said...

have you tried miette's cupcakes. they are so fine tuned! it's so moist, delectable and not too sweet! the lady that owns the place spent 13 years perfecting her macarons! oh and i think their best cupcake is probably the carrot cupcake with cream cheese frosting, but they're all really good! :) you have to try it!