Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My Bday: SushiMaru

For my 24th birthday I wanted sushi, so guess where Jeremy took me... SUSHI!  I had heard that Sushi Maru, which used to be in Sunnyvale but is now in Milpitas, is pretty good.  I had to try it out myself, so that was where we went!  I read that they have sushi boats, which I'm typically skeptical of since they float around for who knows how long waiting to be taken by someone.  To their benefit though, the items actually looked rather fresh, except for the fried items which I would never get off the boat.  I didn't end up getting anything off the boats, but I saw them add a number of items as well, so I would've chosen those- maybe next time :)

What I DID have, was the sushi dinner.  I got some of my favorite nigiris like aji, hamachi, salmon, and tuna among others.  I was actually quite impressed with their California roll, as was Jeremy, because it wasn't too mayonaise-y which I hate.  I believe they also use actual crab instead of imitation crab which makes it taste better.  I enjoyed all the pieces of sushi in my meal... gosh I love sushi.  I also made Jeremy try some of my raw fish.  He had eaten them before but just wanted to share some sushi love with him :)  I also liked their miso soup that came with the dinner.  I can't pinpoint exactly what I liked about it, but it had enough miso flavor balanced with some seaweed and tofu pieces.  There were a few pieces of salad that looked kinda sketchy to me, as in a bit brown, but nothing detrimental to my health at all.  

Jeremy got the katsu curry and enjoyed it.  He really liked the pickled daikon that was served along with it too.  Of course I sampled a little bit of the tonkatsu as well as the curry and must say I enjoyed the bite as well.  Jeremy is a big fan of curry, and a big eater, but he didn't quite finish all of it.  He finishes mine though as he pointed out, so mine must be better :P

Overall a pleasant experience and I would definitely recommend it to friends as well as go back again for some more sushi!  Thanks Jeremy for my bday dinner.
Another thanks to my roomie Christina for getting me a delicious Cookies N Cream Ice Cream Cake- what a way to finish the night!  I had Carvell ice cream cake at work because my lovely coworkers had gotten me a cake as well, but hey if you can't splurge on dessert on your birthday, when can you??  I love birthdays- until next year!

1 comment:

Molly said...

Carvel Icecream Cake is my favorite! Happy (late) Bday Amy!