Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sonny's BBQ- Eating in Florida

My first time in Florida is this Thanksgiving to spend this holiday with my fiance's family.

Jeremy, Jeremy's mom, and I went to eat at Sonny's BBQ, which is a large chain of BBQ places around Florida.  Jeremy had wanted BBQ so we went for lun-ner on Tuesday.  Jeremy was excited for the sweet tea and all you can eat pulled pork.  I also had a sweet tea, which they served in ginormous cups.  Jeremy downed his first glass, but I'm not sure if I even finished the first big glass because they kept filling my cup.  I had to also get a glass of water because I'm not used to drinking so much of a sugary drink, but I must admit the sweet tea was very tasty, though even sweet tooth Jeremy thought it was a bit sweet.

For our meals, I got a half rack of baby back ribs with cornbread.  For my 2 sides I chose baked beans and green beans, since I'm usually lacking vegetables when I go out to eat.  The ribs were good but nothing special to call home about.  The meat was nice and soft, and the sauce was good- not overpowering in sweetness or smokiness.  I highly enjoyed the cornbread without butter, especially with the rest of the food that was very flavorful.  The baked beans were really good with ham or bacon pieces baked in.  It was on the sweeter side, but I still highly enjoyed it.  The green beans were good too.  They were very soft since they were stewed in a pork base, but very flavorful.

Jeremy got the all you can eat pulled pork with garlic bread and his 2 sides were fries and baked beans.  Apparently it's all you can eat on every part of your meal- great news for Jeremy! The first batch of fries for both him and his mom were cold but the second batch were oh so fresh and hot.  I had one of those, and yet again as usual, burned my tongue because of my lack of patience.  They were the normal crinkle fries- I'm not enough of an expert to say for sure that it was the frozen kind, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were. I didn't try any of his garlic bread but he says "It was AWESOME." He also got second helpings of it, so it must have been good. Now onto the main part which was the pulled pork.  That was actually quite delicious and I actually felt like I should've ordered that too.  It was easier to eat and scrumptious, especiall since you are able to doctor it up if you want to with the 4 available sauce bottles at the table.  I believe we used the "Sizzlin' Sweet" sauce on Jeremy's mom's recommendation which was a good one!

We were definitely too full for dessert, but the menu looked good.  Besides, there was superb homemade apple pie and Publix Cookies & Cream ice cream waiting for us at home when we were ready for it!  I would definitely go back to Sonny's again to try either something new or go for that pulled pork, cornbread, baked beans, and... I'll decide on that last vegetable side dish later :)
Thanks for Lun-ner Jeremy!

No comments: