Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Layang Layang

For lunch today, I met up with some of my friends from work that I don't get to see as often as I'd like. We went to Layang Layang in Cupertino, which serves Malaysian food. Upon looking at the menu, it took me immediately back to all the food I had in Singapore... of course the prices were nothing alike, but the choices of food made me so sentimental! I had to decide between so many things just on the lunch menu- Hokkien Mee, Prawn Mee, Char Kway Teow, Mee Goreng, Nasi Goreng, Chicken Rice, Mee Siam, Kari Mee... I finally decided on Mee Siam hoping for the yummy goodness I had in Singapore.
The first thing we received with our lunch special was a spicy, sour soup. I actually really enjoyed it even though it was on the heavily sour side. I can't take much spicy heat, but I thought it had a good balance going in the soup. It was a little on the cold/lukewarm side so I'm sure it would have been even better if it was warmer.

Before we received our entrees, we ordered Roti Canai as an appetizer. It is a thin, partly crispy, partly doughy bread-like item that gets served in a cone shape with a dipping sauce. I particularly liked the doughy parts... and the sauce was delicious! It was a sweeter tasting yellow sauce that I couldn't pinpoint the taste for, but it was really good! Maybe some coconut milk, lots of spices... I'll stop guessing and look into it :)

When my entree came, I was a little surprised, because I thought it was going to be a little on the brothy/gravy noodle side. However, it was actually dry stir fried noodles. It still had the sweet, sour, and salty tastes to it and it was good, but it just was not exactly what I was expecting. It was also a little on the greasier side but I would still order it again a different time after I made my way through the menu. Other people ordered Nasi Goreng, curry, Prawn Mee (which ended up being very spicy but the broth I sampled was quite tasty), and Hainan Chicken. I definitely have my work cut out to try different things here!

No comments: