Saturday, July 31, 2010

Replicating the German Apple Pancake from The Original Pancake House

It's the weekend which means I have time to experiment with food! This week, I'm determined to truly hold to my previous goal of cleaning out our fridge and/or freezer before going to go buy more things at the store. Currently in our fridge we have... eggs! My dilemma is trying to be healthy (especially after the coconut water cleanse) and it seems the most eggs are used with desserts or for main dishes, I would need to go get more ingredients from the store.

All that said, I was inspired to make pancakes, but not just any pancake... German Apple Pancakes like at the Original Pancake House in San Diego! I found a recipe online that tried to replicate the apple pancake from OPH, so I said, we have apples, we have eggs, we have buttermilk that I had frozen, let's give it a try! I was a bit hesitant since it was buttermilk when the recipe called for half cream and half whole milk and I also didn't know how the defrosted butermilk would turn out, but I figured it is worth a shot. The apples smelled fantastic as they were sauteing in the pan... I could have just eaten that but I was patient :)

I then let it cool for about an hour like the recipe said (I'm not sure what exactly that does for the pancake, but I took my husband's advice to "just follow the recipe" since it was the first time. When I was was ready, I prepared the batter, which actually seemed to be very little compared to the pan. I was hoping that it would puff up, but I wasn't sure so I added some baking powder (outside the recipe I know) hoping it would help and into the oven it went... and out it came wonderfully! It looked beautiful when flipped onto the plate but I will admit that I was a little sad that the batter was still on the thin side and it wasn't the thick pancake I was hoping to see.

When we tasted it though, it was delicious! I think next time I will decrease the amount of sugar and butter for the apples, since it was a bit overly sweet for me (not for Jeremy of course). I would also double the batter for the amount of pancakes, but other than that, I loved it and would definitely make it again! Gosh I love food :)

No comments: