Friday, July 23, 2010

Sen Dai Sushi and Yogurtland, Milpitas

Tonight Jeremy and I had an impromptu Friday night date night... okay maybe it was more like I was craving sushi and my husband loves me. Either way, we decided to try a new place that was rated well on Yelp- Sen Dai Sushi in Milpitas. It is a tiny place so we waited about 25 minutes and were seated at the sushi bar. We had looked at the menu while we were waiting so we knew what we were getting but of course I oogled all the food that was created and passed out... I always have food envy... it's so bad sometimes!

We ended up getting the nigiri special- 9 pieces of the chef's choosing. I asked for no ebi and no tobiko which appeared on the picture. I ended up getting salmon, smoked salmon, hamachi, maguro, tai, hirame, shiro maguro, ika, and disappointingly kanikama aka imitaion crab. I'm guessing that they add a 9th item that is cheap like tobiko or kanikama or egg or something but it was nonetheless a bit disappointing. For the nigiris the fish was fresh and there were some large pieces, but they weren't the most flavorful. I also thought it was interesting for a place to serve smoked salmon as a nigiri. I usually end up loving salmon, but this time the hamachi was my favorite of the nigiris.

For rolls, Jeremy humored me and got the Las Vegas roll (inside is tuna, hamachi, salmon, and avocado) as well as Spider roll (soft shell crab with avocado and a few other items) per my request. He also added the Milpitas roll which I think had spicy crab, smoked salmon, and avocado all topped with some tempura crisps. His favorite was the Las Vegas roll, and I think the spider roll would have been better if the soft shell crab weren't fried for so long. Jeremy thought it was fine but I thought it was a bit on the burnt side. The other issue we had was that each roll was way too big- about 3 bites worth. Jeremy said "I have a big mouth but those were too big even for me" haha. We both think they should make them thinner and longer as opposed to 4 ginormous hunks that fall apart with the first bite.

Overall, nothing too bad to say about it- the sushi was good but nothing special. I wouldn't necessarily make it my top sushi destination despite the good ratings on yelp by everyone else. I still prefer Yuki Sushi (which I need to visit again), Sushi Maru, and Satsuma Sushi over this one!

For dessert we headed over to Yogurtland which has a prime location right on Calaveras. It is fairly new and I think it is very cute inside, although we noticed that there is very little visibility from an employee perspective of what is going on in the rest of the store the way that it is structured. Regardless, the yogurt (nonfat mind you) was delicious with many different options to choose from- we got double cookies and cream, vanilla wafer cookies and cream, matcha green teta, and plain tart. Jeremy and I both picked 2 flavors- if you know both of us guess who picked which ones! I also topped my side with a few mochi balls and voila dessert for 30 cents an ounce, totaling a mere $3.44! I love the places where you can put your own choices in and just weigh the whole thing- LOVE LOVE it :) Now that place I could go back to... good thing it's not right by our place or I might become obese!

No comments: