Monday, August 17, 2009

A Gifted Janie Lunchbox

I just wanted to blog about how nice my co-worker Janie was today. I had planned to go out to lunch with a different co-worker today, but she ended up working from home due to being sick. Thus, I was left without a lunch (I usually bring a lunch for those that don't know me very well) and was a bit sad that I would have to go somewhere for food I didn't REALLY want. Janie who is also a consistent lunch bringer, offered me one of her lunch boxes. She cooks a lot over the weekend, freezes tons of lunches, and brings different ones to keep in the freezer.

I accepted her generous offer, and chose the fried udon she had made. It was kind of like the idea of yakisoba, but with udon noodles instead. The flavor was also different from yakisoba, because it was more soy saucy, but it was delicious. She had added udon nooodles, fish cakes, chicken, carrots, cabbage, green beans, and I think that's it. I thought it was quite funny that it was purple from the purple cabbage she added, but I loved it. She warned me it might be salty- the chicken was MAYBE a little salty, but other than that I thought it was great! My lunches usually tend to be on the smaller side, so I actually ended up eating more than usual but it was so good I just kept eating... besides I had already heated it up!!

Thank you Janie for your kindness and I definitely either owe her a lunch or samples from my September month of Japanese cooking. Too bad she is rotating out of our group in a few weeks already!

No comments: