Saturday, August 1, 2009

Homma's Brown Rice Sushi

I met up with Brenda for dinner at Homma's Brown Rice Sushi. I had heard good things about the place, plus I love brown rice and I love sushi so I figured it will be great! I read Yelp reviews that said the wait is long, etc, but I didn't see crowds of people so not worried, I walked around the streets and shops of Palo Alto while I waited for Brenda to drive down from SF.

When Brenda arrived, we walked into Homma's where again, there was a group of 2 sitting inside. In my head I laughed about the line comment... but a little too soon. The boy came over after discussing with Homma the chef, that there were orders backfilled over the phone so it would be 45 minutes to an hour before we got our food. I said WHAT?? There is nobody here and you're telling me you can't make a few nigiri for us because you're prioritizing phone orders? After my initial disgust, I asked the chef himself by busting out my Japanese, if it is really going to be 45 min for anything we order, to which he said yes. Brenda didn't seem to mind and we both had time, so we said what the heck, we're here to hang out and chat so let's just chat until they bring us our food. We also ordered miso soup so I thought at least that would come quick, but they didn't even bring that until maybe 40 minutes in. I didn't mind so much because I got to catch up with Brenda and time passed by :)

When the food finally came out, I will say it was quite good and the priecs are good for sushi. We ordered a plate of nigiri and rolls to share- maguro, hamachi, saba, unagi, and salmon nigiri, a veggie roll and a hamachi avocado roll. All were good. The unagi was actually surprisingly different and good in the sense that it was warm and crispy from being toasted, but yet soft and sweet at the same time. That was quite different for me. The maguro, hamachi, and salmon were also very good but nothing that was greatly different from other places. The hamachi and salmon were on the fattier or oilier side (but not too much) which I like! I didn't know what to expect from the saba because my family and I don't order it too much when we go out because it is vinegarized, but we ordered it and I was pleasantly surprised. There wasn't anything particularly special about it, but it was a nice amount of vinegar combined with some pickled ginger and a little wasabi that hit the spot.

As for the rolls, those were good too. The hamachi avocado roll is what it states and was good. I could have used more avocado in a few of my pieces, but that's ok. The highlight of the rolls was actually the veggie roll for me. I think it had asparagus, cucumber, avocado and burdock root? I think it had 5 things in it, of which the first 3 I listed I'm sure about. The asparagus was a really nice touch in the roll with the slight bite yet soft texture, and all the flavors worked well together. The rolls were small, so they were good bite size pieces, but I could have eaten more. However, maybe it's a good start to having self control... especially when eating out or eating socially...
Overall, I liked the food and price a lot but there's not much atmosphere and I'm not a big fan of their attitude/service. They were really nice about informing us of the time and thanked us for waiting but I am still a bit turned off by the prioritization. I guess that's what happens in a one-man show! Next time I would probably just get it to go and eat it somewhere else so I know I don't have to wait that long for my food! This time though the important thing was I hung out with Brenda!

No comments: