Monday, July 21, 2008

Bangkok, Thailand Part 1

Bangkok in a weekend... quite a lot to do but I think Riga & I covered good ground.
Besides all the sightseeing, you know what's important to me- food!  Lots of pictures and stuff to talk about so as far as actual meals, a buffet breakfast was included with the hotel we stayed at- Viengtai hotel by Khao San Road.  I liked staying by (but not on) Khao San Road because it stayed lively even at night so it was pretty safe with a night scene.  

Our lun-ner on saturday was at Mango Tree.  We had some yummy food: I got the Mussaman Curry, and sampled Riga's goodies that included chicken satay, tom yam koom soup, and chili catfish.  The rice they served also had some other grains in it and it was really good.  They even
 gave me a tad extra rice when I wanted some more for the curry sauce that was deliiiiicious.  The catfish chili was really spicy but it was very flavorful.  The satay wasn't as sweet as the satay I've been eating in Singapore which was different and quite tasty. Of course I got a thai iced tea to
wash it all down as well!  It wasn't as sweet as the usual ones I'm used to, which was a refreshing change. Pretty with an orchid in the glass :)

We then went to get massages which I was a bit worried about on such a full stomach but I was fine- enjoyed it very much.  Of course there was pain every now and then when they knead out all your muscles but felt really good!

On day 2, I got sticky rice with mango at the floating market, but that's for part 2- desserts!  At Chatuchak Market I got 4 spring rolls for 20 baht which is about 
80 cents or so- gotta love cheap food!  There was a wide selection of spring rolls but they were out of the ones that I wanted to try. They also weren't freshly fried so not as crispy and yummy but I was hungry so it did the job.

We went back to Khao San Road where I was determined to try some pad thai here in Bangkok!  25 baht for a pad thai with egg- yummmmm... however it wasn't as satisfying because it was a bit different from the sweet pad thai I'm used to.  They stir fry it for you but apparently you do a lot of the flavoring yourself.  They have some sauces and sugar on the side of the cart for you to add in as 
desired.  I didn't know it wasn't sweet at all, so I just added a tad of sauce.  It was good, but it didn't really taste like Pad Thai.  If I had another one, I'd flavor it accordingly to suit my taste buds.  I guess I like the pre-flavored kind better!

Stay tuned for part 2- desserts!!

1 comment:

Lucy said...

LOOOVE the food Ames!! Can't wait until you get back here! =) I like your dress in the first pic as well.. hehe