Thursday, July 17, 2008

Chili Crab Xiao Long Bao

Limited time edition Chili Crab Xiao Long Bao at Din Tai Fung?  I'm there! Even though the reviews had said they are neither chili crab nor xiao long bao, I had to try it for myself.  Before the main item though, I tried the chili vinegar veggie appetizer which was quite good.  It wasn't too spicy and it was a nice salad type appetizer, since I don't think I get as many vegetables as I normally do back home.  Plus it comes out fast when you're hungry!

On to the main focus of my food adventure that I dragged Riga to. 
Besides the fact that on my last bite I squirted red juice on myself... just when you think you're safe and clear of mess, you get bright red on the white part of your shirt!  It was actually quite delightful- not too spicy but very juicy with the chili crab juice locked into the dumpling.  The reviews were right that it doesn't take the place of either dish, but it is something worthy of trying if you're here when they offer the summer special!  
Can't you tell by my face that I enjoyed my meal?

I also learned from Riga that the flower mode on my camera, also called "macro" mode lets you take pictures of things really up close without bluring!  As in the really close bao pic above :)  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's tough to say whether that looks good or not.

Flower mode is not doing its' job