Thursday, July 24, 2008

Last Week Good Eats Pt 2- Last Whole Day

The Last Whole Day in Singapore and my last day of work...

Old Airport Hawker Center for dinner
My main point of going was the famous rojak stall that I was told about.  I have been having a craving for rojak before I leave, so Viv told me about this famous stall in the east.  The durian stall we could go to was close by, so I decided this would be a great opportunity to go eat the famous rojak... sad thing is that it was CLOSED!!!!  It just wasn't meant to be... Instead we had a different rojak which was still pretty nice, along with the wanton mee that was recommended.  It is out of order, but there is also a picture of our table finished afterwards.  I needed to leave room or part 2 and highlight of the night- DURIAN~~

A few colleagues of mine agreed to take me for a REAL durian experience since I was told this week that the packaged durian is usually the not so good quality durian, even though I liked it! They also winced when I said I had the durian pancakes, so we agreed to go for the real experience on my last night here.  Key things for a real experience: pick your durian, have it cut open for you, take the pods out of the fruit to eat with friends, and stink for a while!! They said don't regret it tomorrow when you burp and smell it, smell it on your fingers, and people scoot away from you... but it was WORTH it :)
Here is the durian that Marianne and I picked, as well as a picture of me with the one I sampled.  It was a D24 I believe which is supposed to be high quality, sweet durian.  It was definitely tasty and worth it!  Very creamy, sweet, and no wonder it is the king of fruits!
One final picture of me with durian in one hand, husk in front of me with the pods in it, and a coconut drink to balance it out!  I didn't get to drink water out of the husk which is supposed to somehow help reduce the stinkiness, because we had to run to our car so we didn't get a ticket hehe.  Hopefully the people in the plane tomorrow don't mind!!





No comments: