Friday, July 4, 2008

My Thai Dessert Experiment

This week I hadn't really tried any food out of the ordinary of what I've tried already...

BUT, I did cook something I haven't tried before.  I really like the Thai dessert of sticky rice with mango. I had coconut milk that I was trying to use as well as a bunch of brown rice I need to eat before I leave Singapore, so I though "Hey, let's try regular brown rice with sweet coconut milk!" It was actually quite easy, and absolutely tasty, but be patient as it takes a bit of time.  Here's what I used: just 5 ingredients, anybody can do it right?  
I know it's not much of a picture with the recipe but here it is:

Amy's Brown Rice Dessert Experiment:
3/4 cup short grain brown rice
1 cup light coconut milk
1 cup water
1/4-2/4 cup brown sugar
pinch of salt

Just put all the ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.  Then, simmer until the liquid is practically absorbed.  Mix every now and then to make sure the rice isn't sticking to the bottom and that film isn't forming on top.
*If you don't want it as sweet, just add less sugar.  I added sugar about half the amount of uncooked rice, and it was a tad too sweet for me.  But I'm sure if Jeremy were eating it, he would have wanted more sugar.  (Or maybe he would've told me to follow a recipe...)

1 comment:

Lucy said...

OOOH! I can totally make this! Thanks for posting the recipe!! =) I will try it on my hubby this week! I have a can of light coconut milk to use up as well.