Thursday, July 24, 2008

Last Week Good Eats Pt 1

The last week in Singapore only means one thing for me...
Squeeze in as much good food as I can!  This whole week was filled with good eats so here is my attempt to capture my culinary adventures throughout the week...

Tuesday- Peranakan Food at Ivan's with Alvin & Christina followed by Island Creamery Ice Cream
Alvin ordered a number of dishes at Ivan's for us and they were all really good. He sure knows the yummies! My favorite (not pictured because it came later than the rest) was what I believe is called itek tim, or the stewed duck in a tamarind gra
vy.  It was a bit sweet but still had a bit of a different, unique kick to it and
 absolutely delicious with coconut rice or alone as I drank a couple spoonfuls at the end because I liked it so much.  My other favorite is the deep fried rolls above with a sort of sweet meat in the middle, eaten with a sweet sauce and a bit of chili.  Yummyyyyyy is all I can say.  We also got some "must try-s" that I think are called ayum buah keluak (chicken with a hard nut stewed in a spicy sour sauce), babi pongteh (pork stewed in soy sauce with spices), vegetables, and of course all with coconut rice.  I had Pernakan food one time previous to this but this time was so much more memorable!

For dessert we headed over to Island Creamery which is a local ice cream shop that makes their own ice creams, with some unique flavors.  Some of those unique flavors included chendol, teh tarik, pulut hitam, and Tiger beer.  I ended up getting the Teh Tarik 
which was delicious- a nice milk tea that apparently tastes like the real drink!  We also tried to print a picture for their wall, but their printer adapter was broken so we couldn't print our picture.  We won't be on their wall, but I'll have the picture we wanted to print!

Wednesday- Crystal Jade farewell lunch with colleagues & Lau Pa Sat dinner with Vivien

My colleagues took me out to a dim sum lunch at Crystal Jade.  It was a good choice since I had gone to Din Tai Fung before for dim sum, but Crystal Jade is an originally singaporean establishment.  We had TONS of food and all of it was really good.  Pictures aren't too flattering so I'll keep them to myself, but I'll share the highlights of what I ate.  I really liked the hor fun I think it was- dark stir fried noodles, roasted meats like pork and duck, and sweet water chestnut rice cake. I don't exactly remember all I ate since there was so much, but those are the ones that stood out to me.

Lau Pa Sat was actually kind of a disappointment.  First of all, not too many queues that I can use as a cue of good food.  I wandered around trying to figure out what to eat and finally decided on ban mian because I like homemade noodles.  I tried a few bites of Viv's Kway Chap which was actually quite good with an herbally taste.  Many people may be turned off that its pig's organs though... I also tried a bit of her bok chor mee, aka minced pork noodle.  Then for dessert I sampled a bit of her sweet potato longan dessert which was quite delightful I must say!  I've heard that the satay street isn't that great so we didn't even try.  For having tons of stores, I had no idea which places were good, and it seems like not too many are famous for their items!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed the Peranakan feast Tues night! Anyways, just in case you ever need to order the yummy Duck dish, its called Itek Sio. I think Itek Tim is Duck and salted cabbage soup (which we didn't have but is also good!). Itek is duck in Malay as you might have figured....