Monday, July 21, 2008

Bangkok, Thailand Part 2

Now for Bangkok part 2- the sweet stuff!

My first sweet came in the form of mango sticky rice at the floating market.  Ok so the first picture is from the thai iced tea lady, but the sticky rice lady was right behind her.  As you can tell in the second photo, I was a tad sweaty from
the heat, humidity, and all the people.  I could try to touch up the photo and get the hair out of my forehead, but clearly I didn't care enough! The sticky rice wasn't as sweet as what I have had in the US, which doesn't surprise me, and I really enjoyed it!

My second sweet was at the Chatuchak Market where there were a lot of stores with actually some good stuff.  It wasn't the road of junk like we saw walking to Wat Pho from the Grand Palace.  I know one person's junk can be another person's treasure but... that stuff was REALLY hard to imagine as someone's treasure... 
The second picture is the dessert that I got.  I'm actually not quite sure what it is, but you pick what you want in your dessert with coconut milk.  The pink balls were gelatinous with a sort of water chestnut-ty crunch center.  The white balls I got that looked like banana cut up was the same crunchy thing that was in the center of the pink thing I believe... Then long white pieces were just coconut inside bits I believe.  It wasn't the best dessert I've had, but it wasn't bad by any means, and I tried something new that I wouldn't eat otherwise!  For the equivalent of $1, this is the place to experiment with new foods right?

Third stop was my last Bangkok eats and was yummyyyyyy.  It was a banana roti or pancake 
with chocolate.  I know Jeremy would have loved it- banana and chocolate!  It was basically like a crepe, and when I used to go to summer festivals in Japan, I would always get the banana nutella crepes. So here at the Khao San Road roti cart, I got the delightful pancake that I needed Riga's help eating since I had been snacking all afternoon.  The sweetness with the crispy outside-yummmmm what a way to cap off the trip!!

No comments: