Monday, July 14, 2008

Malacca, Malaysia yummies

A weekend trip to Malacca, Malaysia.  Despite people trying to scare me about the dangers of Malaysia, Malacca was fine and lots of fun!
  First thing on the list, chicken rice balls!  We went to one of the two famous stores that serve chicken rice balls for lunch right before the masses came in!  The rice balls were quite good as well as the chicken and cucumbers, but I like regular chicken rice better because the rice balls are a bit mushy because they are packed together tightly.

  Next on the list was chendol, so I had a Mango 
chendol and Audrey had a durian chendol.  The ice stayed solid much longer than the desserts we have here in Singapore because apparently Malaysians pack the ice tighter.  The molasses like brown sugar sauce was delicious too! They even give you more in a green bottle if you want it sweeter! (Jeremy, you can have 
the whole bottle to yourself.) Not too coconutty, but there was enough coconut taste with the ice and mango. 

At night after we rested for a bit, we went out to the Jonker night market, which I must say was my favorite part of the trip. There were all sorts of things on sale, including lots of good food 
to choose from  and my eyes were much bigger than my stomach. First thing we had at dinner time was a sampling of dim sum items from the auntie and young man selling the loads of yummy looking delights at a stall.  Lots of colors of small deliciousness that I picked and chose from.  As usual, they squirted in a bit of chili sauce for me.  We savored them as we walked to our next destination where we had Asam Laksa.  
It was really spicy which made me sweat a lot more from eating it rather than just being in the hot weather, but it was quite nice.  It wasn't heavy in a creamy way like the usual laksa but the sourness was a nice fresh combination with the spiciness.

We also had nonya kueh that was absolutely fantastic!  I had the sweet potato kind while Audrey tried
 the pandan kind.  They were soft and the right amount of chewiness.  I think I really enjoyed it because it wasn't overly sweet as a lot of sweets tend to be. We both really enjoyed our kuehs and when we went back to see if we wanted to buy more possibly for breakfast, they had run out. Our decision had been made for us... that was of course returning after a 1 hour plus martial arts street show of a kung fu laoshi and his powerful index finger.

Last but not least, this is for Jeremy because it was a funny sign I showed him from our hotel bathroom:

1 comment:

Sie Deen Aguilar said...

OMG, all the pictures you've taken are making me soooo hungry... for food and Malaysia =)