Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Original Pancake House

The last morning in San Diego was spent at The Original Pancake House in Clairemont Mesa. When Jeremy heard about this breakfast place, his eyes lit up, so my Mom, Jeremy, and I set out to have a good breakfast. 

Their most well known specialties are the Apple Pancake and German Pancake so we had to get those.  Between the three of us, those two pancakes plus a side of fried potatoes were plenty.  The Apple Pancake is very sweet because the apples are caramelized with cinnamon and sugar.  I really liked it with a little lemon because it made it not overly sweet.  We think they use the same batter on the bottom as the German pancake, but it also seems to have an additional layer that is almost like a light custard under the sweet apple layer.  
The German pancake looks so neat when it comes out because it is huge and "poofed up".  It starts falling quick though so we tried to take pictures quickly and start eating.  I really enjoyed it with the lemon and powdered sugar they serve with it, as well as the berry syrup sauce.  I believe it was lingonberry but I'm not positive.  They were both delicious but I could definitely taste eggs in both pancakes so I'm glad we didn't get an omelette in addition.  We did see one family order an omelette that was basically the size of the apple pancake, but even thicker!  We joked that it would take 4 of us to eat that omelette.  The potatoes were good but nothing special.  I saw some other interesting menu items like the buckwheat pancakes or various crepes that I would love to try next time!


No comments: