Saturday, May 16, 2009

Red Egg and Ginger Party

Today I went to my first Red Egg and Ginger Party at the Hong Kong Flower Lounge in Millbrae! I had never been to one before, so this was an exciting new experience for not only Jeremy and I but a number of people at our table!

It was a HUGE menu... let me see if I can recall:
1) Seaweed salad, BBQ pork, and jellyfish- the seaweed salad and pork I enjoyed, but the jellyfish was a bit different from the usual kind that I like.
2) Seafood and tofu soup- good but I think it needed a little more flavor so we added a little white pepper.
3) Walnut Prawns- the walnuts were a bit more mayo-y than I would have liked but the candied nuts were fantastic!
4) Mongolian Beef- just enough spice and loved the dish!
5) Lobster in sauce with green onions- very tasty but shellfish is a bit messy and hard to eat. I gave up on a few because I was lazy...
6) Duck in lettuce cups- Loved it! I've had ground beef mixtures in lettuce cups as appetizers before, but this was the first time I had duck in a lettuce wrap- delish!
7) Peking Duck- I love Peking duck and I liked the buns they were served with. I can't say it was the best I've had but it was still good!
8) Whole pan fried fish with soy sauce- Nice and crispy! It was hard to break off pieces and pick out the bones, but the sauce was great and when you got a piece, it was yummy!
9) Crispy noodles with vegetables, seafood, and gravy- I personally like the soggy parts mixed with some crispy, but I felt like the noodles were thicker, so the crispy parts were a bit chewy. Loved the veggies!
10) Fried sesame balls with lotus paste- I love this dessert since I love mochi, I love sweet paste and what is not to love about fried foods! This combines it all!
And of course there were 2 types of cake to finish and celebrate in American style :) Jeremy especially loved the cake! The cake was not too sweet and I loved the custard filling!

Overall, the meal was great and I was so thankful I was able to go. Baby Jake is adorable, and was especially adorable in his special outfit for the day!
Thanks for inviting us to the fantastic banquet!

No comments: