Wednesday, September 16, 2009

J-Food Day 16: Oyaki & Hiyashi Chuuka

Day 16- I didn't end up finishing the croquettes but I did make oyaki which is like Japanese pancakes but different because they have a very thin batter. I also ended up making HiyashiChuuka or cold noodles with sauce.

Dish 17. Oyaki- I made this thin pancake (which didn't really turn out like a pancake) with bean sprouts, garlic chives, and carrots. I mixed them together with a little batter and tried to pan fry it... but any crispy parts stuck to the pan while everything else just stayed mushy and fell apart. I was expecting something similar to the pancakes you order at a korean restaurant but it definitely did not come out like that. It also tasted bland without adding sauce... so mushy and bland... very NOT awesome!

Dish 18. Hiyashi Chuuka aka cold sesame (?) noodles- I think I actually cheated on this one so I'm not sure if I can call this a dish I made, since I didn't make the sauce. It was a packet sauce that I had from when I bought a Hiyashi Chuuka sauce before. Jeremy isn't a big sauce person, nor am I for that matter, so we never use all the sauce that comes with packaged food. For the noodles, I actually prepared correctly the noodles I previously used for the yakisoba. This time I boiled them in enough water so they didn't become gobbly goo as I called it before. The noodles came out great, I added wakama/seaweed, bean sprouts, carrots, and sugar snap peas. I just boiled them and added the sauce and sesame noodles so yes I may have cheated, but it was a work day!

Tomorrow we have a friend's birthday party, then Jeremy's birthday the day after that, so I'll have to hold off on cooking for a bit until the weekend! By the way I'm still looking for a suribachi so I may call Daiso to see if they have one!

No comments: