Thursday, September 24, 2009

J-Food Day 24: Shoyu Ramen & Gyudon

I'm not sure why the blog is messing up the dates because I definitely did not post all the blog entries on the same day as it says I did last wednesday... in any case, it is Day 24! The weekend were packed with birthday parties and for my birthday, I saw Wicked which was fantastic! That also meant that I didn't cook. I also had another birthday celebration at Gochi yesterday with my old roomies so I didn't cook yesterday either. But I did bake for the retail bake-off which made for a late night! I had baked a few days ago to practice too which is why we have a growing tub of cookies! And notice the cookbook holder with glass to protect the cookbook- a wonderful bday gift from my lovely husband!

The cookies I made last night for the bake off were cookies with a hint of peanut butter in the dough with a chocolate spread center, topped with walnuts. I didn't win the bake off but boy my stomach feels like it weighs a ton from all that I ate! I still wasn't very hungry but I'm back in cooking mode and today I made 2 dishes.

Dish 23. Shoyu Ramen- I used the same chuuka noodles as the cold noodles, and made a warm broth for them with dashi, dashi soy sauce, soy sauce, sake, and brown sugar. I had also sauteed some ginger and garlic in sesame oil prior to making the broth to give it a little depth of flavor. For the ramen, I added wakame/seaweed, enoki mushrooms, a bit of carrots, and a few sugar snap peas for color. I didn't make it extremely brothy because I know Jeremy doesn't like too much broth, but it tasted good. It wasn't as good as ramen places that spend a lot of time cooking the broth from bones, etc but it was a good attempt for homemade ramen!

Dish 24. Gyudon aka Beef Bowl- Japanese food has very similar ingredients in most of its cooking since it is some variation of a sweet soy sauce flavor. So again, the flavoring was based on ginger, garlic, dashi, dashi soy sauce, soy sauce, sake, mirin, and brown sugar. I sauteed ginger, garlic, and onions prior to adding the broth flavors along with some enoki mushrooms and konnyaku yam noodles. I used thinly sliced beef and debated whether to saute them at the beginning for flavor or add it at the end, and decided for the end so it didn't overcook. I thought this actually tasted really good! I wish I was more hungry so I could eat a whole bowl full!

I'm also happy to announce that I finally acquired a suribachi! I can now make my shiraae or any other items that require something to be ground. You can always count on Daiso to have useful things for pretty cheap- $6 for the bowl and stick!

No comments: