Tuesday, September 8, 2009

J-Food Day 8: Yamakake Soba

How is today day 8 of the project when Friday was day 7 you ask?
I knew I was going to be away during Labor day weekend so I substituted the last weekend of August for labor day weekend. Which means Sat-Mon don't count! I'm starting to thinkthat fitting in 30 dishes is going to be tough especially with birthdays and events I know we'll be attending, but I will make it happen!

Dish 8. Tonight was "Yamakake soba" which is basically warm soupy noodles with yamaimo or white grated mountain yam on top. I cheated and used dashi powder instead of making my own stock... next time! I also added dashi soy sauce, soy sauce, and mirin for the soup base. I added shiitake mushrooms for flavor, some daikon, cabbage, and carrots for a healthy mix of flavors and colors. I then added in the soba noodles and voila! Dress up with a little green onion, pour on some of the grated yam "goo" and dinner is served!

I really liked it and Jeremy liked it too. He mixed the yam into the whole thing so he didn't really taste the "stickiness" of it. I don't think it has much flavor but definitely adds to the texture. It was delicious but not something that could be served as a bento-type item. Maybe the soup could be a side soup on its own! No matter, it was a successful Amy concoction!

I have a lot of ground to make up for this week, but the plan so far is:
Braised Kabocha Squash
Pilaf or flavored rice
Kabocha squash croquettes
Baked chicken katsu
Curry
Another type of pickled vegetable
Maybe sushi rolls
Maybe miso soup

No comments: