Wednesday, September 2, 2009

J-Food Day 5: Teriyaki Chicken

Japanese food project day 5! Today is chicken teriyaki day! I marinated it overnight in a little sake, soy sauce, and ginger, so I was hoping that after I got home it would be a breeze...

Dish 6. Chicken Teriyaki: Result- yummy!
It started out well where I browned the chicken on both sides, but I was using some bone in chicken breasts that I had purchased for soup a while back and froze extra pieces. The problem was that these were huge pieces that I couldn't exactly slice off the bone to make chicken teriyaki with. So, I browned both sides and I was supposed to steam it with a little sake for 5 minutes... well 5 minutes ended up being a little longer than that to cook these big doggers. Good thing I wasn't absolutely starving, even though I didn't get home until a little after 7pm, and thankfully I have a patient husband!

After I checked that the chicken had cooked through (I had to add more water and raise the heat to steam faster) I added brown sugar, mirin, sake, soy sauce, and dashi soy sauce for the additional flavor. Right as it was finishing, I added some shiitake mushrooms and cabbage to cook in the sauce as well to soak up the delicious flavor of the sauce. The sauce isn't as thick as what comes out in restaurants or is sold in bottles because I didn't add any cornstarch or other thickeners. I like it more broth-y than a goo-like texture, especially if it is homemade. The pictures may not look that great but trust me it tasted good. A little rice, a little chicken, some cabbage and mushrooms topped with a little sauce... It took a while and in the end the chicken got chopped up into pieces but Jeremy liked it, I liked it, everyone wins! Another successful dish- this is encouraging!

No comments: