Friday, September 4, 2009

J-Food Day 7: Unfried Potato Korokke

Week 1 of the project has been completed!
Today I was inspired by a recipe I saw for potato korokke or croquettes that are the flavor without the hassle of shaping, flouring, egg-ing, breading, and frying. Instead, it's an assemble in the pot and put it over rice method!

Dish 7. Potato Korokke (unconventional)- The ingredients are potatoes, ground turkey, carrots, onions, corn, and cabbage to serve with it. I sauteed the meat, carrots, onions, and corn in one pan, then added boiled potatoes to it and mashed it together. Add flavorings, and voila! I used the tonkatsu sauce I made for the okonomiyaki/Japanese pancakes with this as well. I love being able to use so many of the same ingredients for different dishes! I also toasted and sprinkled the panko bread crumbs to give it a crunch, but I didn't really feel the crunch since I didn't put as much on as a fried korokke would have.

In assembling for eating, we put some brown rice down as the base, then some cabbage, then the potato mixture, topped with toasted panko and sauce. It was quite delicious, but of course Jeremy still likes the fried version better. Who doesn't like fried food, right? It was my attempt to make it healthier but of course it wasn't as good as what it would've been in its traditional shape! It was worth a shot!

Since it is the end of week 1, I wanted to recap the list of items I've made this week and how I felt about them:
Turkey & Cabbage Gyoza- 2/5 stars
Okonomiyaki- 3/5 stars
Turkey-burg- 2/5 stars
Nikujaga- 5/5 stars! Keeper!
Pickled Cucumbers- 4/5 stars! Keeper!
Chicken Teriyaki- 4/5 stars! Keeper!
Potato Korokke- 4/5 stars!

Woohoo- I'll be taking a weekend break but to be continued next week!

No comments: