Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Din Tai Fung

On Monday, I had dinner at Din Tai Fung, a Taiwanese dim sum chain, with Vivien after work.  I had liked the xiao lon bao last time so we got those again.  I also had the Dan Dan Mian that I had wanted to try last time.  I thought it was going to be a bit spicy but it ended up actually being a sweet peanutty taste with a hint of chili.  It was a bit thick and had much more of a peanut taste than I expected.  I'm not sure if I would get it again, but I still enjoyed it. 

The previous time I had gone to Din Tai Fung with my family and Jeremy, I tried a lot of their selection such as xiao lon bao, black bean noodles, wonton soup noodles, shrimp dumplings, shrimp fried rice, and yam dumplings.  My favorite was the xiao lon bao, which I'm still amazed at how they wrap it so none of the delicious juice gets out until you so desire.  AND I love the ginger and vinegar to go along with it- what a great accompaniment!  The noodles are really good as well, cooked to the right texture with a slight bite still to it. I liked the dry noodles with black bean sauce better than the soup noodles, because it didn't let the noodles get too soft and the flavor was a good amount of salty without being overly flavorful.  Sadly I forgot my camera both times, but I would recommend this place to people that want not too oily but a lighter, flavorful meal!

1 comment:

Lucy said...

You got to hang out with Viv again! Man, I am missing out! Do you know if the chain has any locations in the US? It would be great to try it... Love these types of restaurants.